Welcome to the ACRL/NY community!
Last December 5th, librarians from across the region and beyond gathered for the 2014 Annual ACRL/NY Symposium, “The Academic Librarian in the Open Access Future.” In this special edition of the Chapter newsletter, you will find reports on the speakers, poster presentations, and other events of the day. We are happy as well to showcase brief essays from each of our four student scholarship winners, discussing what the experience meant to them.
Our annual symposium is a complex event, with many moving pieces. As chair of the 2014 planning committee, I am extremely grateful to twenty-five smart and talented colleagues who shared responsibility with me and without whom the event could never have come together. Were you unable to attend? Never fear, the reports in this newsletter will initiate you into the world of ideas that circulated that day, and the 2014 Symposium website provides access to presentation slides, poster images, handouts, and more.
As we begin the new year of programming, I want to introduce the 2015 ACRL/NY Officers:
- President: Linda Miles, Yeshiva University
- Immediate Past President: Anice Mills, Columbia University
- Vice-President/President Elect: Starr Hoffman, Columbia University
- Treasurer: Melissa Goertzen, Columbia University
- Treasurer-Elect: Sharell Walker, Touro College
- Recording Secretary: Caroline Fuchs, St. John’s University
- Membership Secretary: Werner Sbaschnik, SUNY Old Westbury
- Michael Handis, CUNY Graduate Center
- Carrie Marten, SUNY Purchase
- Natalka Sawchuck, Iona College
In addition to our annual symposium, ACRL/NY sponsors eight active discussion groups, several professional development programs spread throughout the year, a mentoring program, and a research/writing support group. Twice each year, once in the Fall and once in the Spring, we sponsor large networking “meet-n-greets” as well. I urge you to take full advantage of these opportunities. Learn more at http://acrlny.org/. If you’re interested in taking on a new role within the organization, there are multiple ways to do so. Please let me know.
2015 ACRL/NY President